• Increase Font

    Systematic review: DAAs provide cost-effective treatment for hepatitis C

    Direct-acting antiviral (DAA) agents are cost-effective for the treatment of hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotypes 2-5, according to a new study.

    The availability of DAAs has dramatically changed the landscape of HCV therapy. Understanding the value and cost-effectiveness of HCV treatment is important given the budgetary impact of treating a large number of HCV-infected individuals.

    “Timely treatment of HCV with currently available DAAs is beneficial to patients as well as society because of reduced morbidity, mortality and health expenditures,” senior author Jagpreet Chhatwal PhD, assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, told Medical Economics.

    The researchers published their in the October 2017 issue of Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics.

    A previously published systematic review from Chhatwal and colleagues had only studied HCV genotype 1, which accounts for 46% of all infections worldwide. In the current study, they extended that analysis to HCV genotypes 2-6, which account for the remaining 54% of all infections. Genotypes 1-3 are prevalent worldwide, genotypes 4 and 5 are found mostly in Africa, and genotype 6 is principally prevalent in Asia. The study also accounts for variation in drug prices and country, among other factors.

    In the new systematic review, a total of 92 incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICERs) for 7 different DAA regimens from 10 published articles were included. Among the abstracted 92 ICERs, 20 were for genotype 2, 40 for genotype 3, 30 for genotype 4, 2 for genotype 5 and none for genotype 6; only genotypes 2–5 were analyzed.


    Next: The results

    Mark L. Fuerst
    Staff Correspondent


    You must be signed in to leave a comment. Registering is fast and free!

    All comments must follow the ModernMedicine Network community rules and terms of use, and will be moderated. ModernMedicine reserves the right to use the comments we receive, in whole or in part,in any medium. See also the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Community FAQ.

    • No comments available

    Latest Tweets Follow