babies and children with eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao, Marcie Mom

My 4 Month Old Baby Has Weeping Eczema (Pics attached)

Postby Mummaof2 on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:25 pm

Hi there,

So... Our poor 4 month old baby boy has been suffering with Eczema since he was 8 weeks old. It has been getting progressively worse and is now covering him from head to toe. It is worse on his face and looks raw, weeping and sore. He is on a 7 day course of antibiotics which seems to be helping with the infection. However, there are patches on his face which are still weeping. In terms of moisturisers and steroid creams - we have been prescribed... Aveeno, Cetraben, Olatium, Fifty Fifty Ointment, Hydrocortisone 1% and Emuvate.
His body seems to be responding well to the Emovate steroid cream but the Hyrdocortisone 1% is taking a lot longer to work on his face. Im wondering if i can just go ahead and use the Emuvate on his face, just to speed up the healing process. I would rather use a moderately potent steroid cream for a shorter period of time than a milder one for longer.. does that make sense?

Has anyone else been in the same position???
Mummaof2

Re: My 4 Month Old Baby Has Weeping Eczema (Pics attached)

Postby talkhealth on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi Mummaof2

Thank you for your post. Sorry to hear about your little one, have a look at our free support programme, myeczemachild, .

Please let us know how things progress.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://safemusic.info/blog
talkhealth

Postby talkhealth on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi Mummaof2

We have also found this on our , it might be worth a read?

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://safemusic.info/blog
talkhealth

Postby Chrissylov on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:53 pm

I have used the stronger steroids on my 17 month olds face when he is at his worst. The doctor started us off with the hyrdrocortisone 1% but it didn't touch it and he was given the steroids once the dermatologist had seen how serious and sore his skin was. I try to use them only with the worst outbreaks, when we really cannot cope, it only gives him relief for a short while and then the cycle seems to start again. He is much improved in summer and I am hoping to ride it out till then. I try to moisurise as much as possible in the meantime and find the scratchmitts a great investment.
Chrissylov

Postby Marcie Mom on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:47 am

Thanks for sharing and hope the rashes do not come back so soon/ severe.. may want to explore whether it is some form of eczema and if so, what to remove e.g. shampoo/ bedding material, bath? Especially if the rash is concentrated only on face..

An extract of an interview that I had with a dermatologist on facial eczema
What it looks like: Irritant dermatitis causes a well demarcated rash which is red and itchy and there can even be swelling and blisters. It can occur anyway in the body where the agent is in with the skin. In infants, the rash can occur around the mouth as a result of frequent with saliva.

Hope things get better soon, take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://safemusic.info/blog/author/mei_m/
Marcie Mom

Postby whereisjen on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:17 am

I haven't been in your specific position, but I think this could help. Good luck with everything!
whereisjen